#1 03-03-2011 2:58 am

droidzlander
Celebrity
Karmojo: 69

Morphy - How to change the body texture step by step

Well, as my first contribution to this community I'd like to help all the people out there that are trying to figure out how to change the body texture of Morphy. It might be a little tricky for the not so tech savvy guys but I myself am not a tech head so if I did it I'm sure you will as well.

1. Open the Hypershade and create a new material, let's say a lambert. Better to start with a fresh new one
2. type body_geoShape in the selection field in the upper rightmost side of the interface (or just copy and paste it) and hit enter in order to select the body geometry node
3. select window-->hypergraph:connections
4. once the window pops up hit F to frame the node and zoom out a little bit
5. you'll see the body_geoShape node connected to a smooth node, body_geo_smoothNode.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8618989/11sec/1.jpg

Select the line connecting the nodes and delete it. DON'T close the hypergraph
6. open the outliner, browse through and select all_anim-->Geo_grp-->body_geo. In the Hypershade assign your new material to the body geometry by right clicking on the material and selecting Assign material to selection (or whatever other method you like)
7. Oh yeah!! Morphy is not wearing that so 80's spandex gym suit anymore!! But now comes the tricky part.
8. in the hypergraph MMB drag and drop the smooth node body_geo_smoothNode onto the body_geo node. In the menu that pops up select Other... The connection editor shows up. In the left column select output, in the right one scroll down and select inMesh. Now the original smooth node is connected back to the geometry and all the smoothing functionalities built in the rig are working again as before.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8618989/11sec/2.jpg

9. open again the hypershade, select the new material, rename it if you like and assign a texture to the color channel by clicking the small checker icon in the attribute editor (ctrl+A) and choosing a file texture type. Browse and load your texture file. You can use as a starting point this simple texture I'm providing made with just a few brush strokes to spot all the different areas of the body.
10. darn!! The texture looks misplaced and distorted! Now it gets a little trickier smile ...
11. select again the body_geo in the outliner and select window-->UV texture editor
12. in the texture editor menu select Polygons-->Copy UVs to UVs set-->map1. Then close all the panels and click in the empty space to deselect everything.
Now that's working big_smile !!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8618989/11sec/3.jpg

The reason you have to do this is that Morphy has two uv sets: the first one (Maya default one maybe) is very messy while the second (custom made by the author, I guess) is a lot cleaner. Not super duper clean and tidy up, the uv set looks a little bit fragmented into a few patches but hey, it's customizable now and this great rig comes for free.
This is a 2K .psd snapshot of the UV set you can use to paint your own texture.

Enjoy painting a dress that suits your style!

P.S.: Many thanks to jjburton for creating Morphy and for the tip he gave on this forum that led me to find this workaround

#2 03-03-2011 1:24 pm

jjburton
Rockstar
Karmojo: 71

Re: Morphy - How to change the body texture step by step

Great stuff. Thanks for doing this. I'm gonna post a link to it in my docs as well as on my best of Morphy post this month on the old blog. Also, send me an email with a link to your site and I'll be happy to add you as a "Friend of Morphy" for your contribution:)

I'll also look into the 2 uv sets thing when I can - I model in Silo usually, maybe that introduced it.... Uv's are not my greatest strength. I put a call out when I was doin it to get a hand but had no takers. If anyone is interested in reUVin the mesh, I'll be happy to look at it and if it's an improvement, I'll roll it in to an update.

Blessings,
jjb

Last edited by jjburton (03-03-2011 1:25 pm)

#3 03-03-2011 2:16 pm

droidzlander
Celebrity
Karmojo: 69

Hi jjb,
I'm really glad this is helpful for you and your documentation about the rig. A little payoff for all of your efforts.
I am pretty weak about UV and unwrapping too. I did it just once in my whole life.

Cheers

Andrea

#4 03-09-2011 5:03 am

doolaeged
Tipster
Karmojo: 21

jjburton wrote:

Great stuff. Thanks for doing this. I'm gonna post a link to it in my docs as well as on my best of Morphy post this month on the old blog. Also, send me an email with a link to your site and I'll be happy to add you as a "Friend of Morphy" for your contribution:)

I'll also look into the 2 uv sets thing when I can - I model in Silo usually, maybe that introduced it.... Uv's are not my greatest strength. I put a call out when I was doin it to get a hand but had no takers. If anyone is interested in reUVin the mesh, I'll be happy to look at it and if it's an improvement, I'll roll it in to an update.

Blessings,
jjb

Josh I can look at the UV I redid the UV's on my schools rig, so I can take a look at it.

Regards
DerekD

#5 03-09-2011 12:41 pm

jjburton
Rockstar

That'd be awesome Doolaeged. Send me an email to discuss - you can find my email on my site on the contact page. Don't forget to yank the spaces:)

-jjb

#6 03-28-2011 4:59 am

Jrod33
Helper
Karmojo: 10

emartson:  I had issues with the first few steps also.  If you can only see the body_geoShape node in the hypergraph, go to Graph-->Increase Depth Traversal.  Then hit "F" to frame it.  :-)   Hope this helps!  (thanks for the tutorial droidzlander, and of course for the rig JJB)

#7 04-02-2011 3:36 pm

icra
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 45

When i playblast with mental ray i can't see the body i see only the head and the hands! Can eanyone give me a solution?

#8 04-06-2011 12:28 am

leeariel88
Participator
Karmojo: 10

Thanks so much for the info
It worked perfectly
although had some issue in the beginning trying to find the bodyshape node and its connections haha
thanks a lot!

#9 08-01-2011 10:36 pm

Rival
Celebrity
Karmojo: 62

Sorry but I cant even do step two.  I type in the body_geoShape and nothing happens.

noob alert

#10 08-01-2011 10:38 pm

jjburton
Rockstar

Don't forget your reference prefix, Rival. If you're working on a referenced Morphy and your reference prefix is fred then you'd need to look for fred:body_geoShape.

#11 09-06-2011 9:33 am

tim nendza
Celebrity
Karmojo: 65

I don't GET STEP 2 the node just doesnt appear in my hypergraph

#12 09-06-2011 1:03 pm

jjburton
Rockstar

Tim, are you using a referenced rig or the base rig?

#13 09-06-2011 2:56 pm

tim nendza
Celebrity

i use the base rig that comes with your rigpack

#14 09-06-2011 3:53 pm

tim nendza
Celebrity

ok i made it i don't know what it was but now it works...thanks anyway

#15 09-14-2011 1:56 pm

wellings
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 51
Productive!

I tried this, I can't do it. This is beyond me lol. I don't even want to change what he's wearing, I just want to be able to render him. Right now when I try to render Morpheus all I get is a face that's mostly missing (looks like a skeleton) and no arms, just a torso. I've tried rendering in Mental Ray and Maya Software. Oh, and I can't get rid of his silver skin. This could be part of the problem with rendering I guess. How do I do this? I don't want to change his 80's getup, just the skin colour. Any ideas?

#16 09-14-2011 5:19 pm

jjburton
Rockstar

Wellings, that sounds to me like you don't have the texture paths fixed. Can you change the skin texture and see those changes visually represented in the viewport when textures are on?

#17 09-14-2011 7:04 pm

wellings
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 51
Productive!

Thanks for the response, I actually went to your site today and saw the part about fixing the path of the texture file and it worked smile Thanks a lot! I'm in the middle of watching the rest of your videos also.

#18 10-26-2011 9:42 pm

Parallax24
Tipster
Karmojo: 22

Hey, thanks for the help with figuring out how to put a texture onto Morphy. Your reference psd with the colored areas helped a lot. I did run into a little trouble when i began to use the morphing however. For example, I put a circle on the chest and it got a little distorted when i morphed the chest area. Is there anyway to fix this or just an outcome of the ability to morph?

#19 11-05-2011 12:20 pm

RichardBannister
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 55

@Parallax24

Hi,

Because the texture is locked to the UV's it will stretch when the body geometry moves/deforms. I don't know of a way to fix this personally. Aside from having a textured cloth over the top that will slide automatically but that might be a bit complex for an animation test smile

Josh - if you are reading this thanks again man! This is a brilliant Rig.

#20 02-09-2012 4:32 am

madRide
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 59

thanks josh for the superb rig and thanks  Andrea for the tips on dressing up morphy.
BUT.... hmmm.... if i put spiderman texture on morphy.... will that be a copyright issue????

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want to do."

#21 03-05-2012 10:46 am

fyss
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 30

Great tutorial thanks!
But i try to apply a new projection to improve the UV setting and the texture doesn't follow the mesh. I deleted the Non-Deformer History and it works but i cant smooth the Body from the Smooth settings from 0 to 1-2-etc etc...
I also tried to move the original uv but the when i switch in Smooth Body 1, it's all broken

Can someone help me, i can send my scene.

Here 2 sample image:

texture applied:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13612742/morphy_txt01.jpg

when i move the rig, the texture doesn't follow:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13612742/morphy_txt02.jpg

Thanks in avdance
F

#22 03-05-2012 10:56 am

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Hi!
You probably get some kind of tweak node when you edit the uv set? This node has to come before the deformers, you can change the nodal order by rightclicking on the mesh and selecting "all inputs", and then reorder that list by mmb click-dragging the items.
Let me know if that worked, this was now a shot in the dark as I have neither maya nor morpheus here...

#23 03-05-2012 11:00 am

fyss
Upstanding Citizen

Thank you so much for this quick reply!

I already tried to do this but i have a list of node but i don't understand how to change order..... i'll try again.

Thanks
F

#24 03-05-2012 11:02 am

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

you get that all inputs list? In a new window? There you just grab an item with the mmb and drag it to a new location and drop it. It usually doesn't look as if its working, but it does big_smile

#25 03-05-2012 11:53 am

fyss
Upstanding Citizen

i tried and even if it seems that i can drag the line, nothing change.

This is the node list:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13612742/all_input.jpg

is there another way to chenge this order ? i'm not able to do it from here sad

Board footer